Mount Angel Seminary Admissions
Greetings from Mount Angel Seminary!
As “a school of the Lord’s service,” we have much for which to be to be grateful and much to celebrate. Founded and sustained by the monks of Mount Angel Abbey, we have now become the oldest and the largest Catholic seminary in the western United States and have been privileged to educate and form thousands of priests – and many religious and lay men and women, too – with the mind and heart of Jesus Christ for service to His people in nearly 100 dioceses and religious communities across the country and around the world. And we are delighted that you are interested in becoming part of that tradition. If you have any questions or we can be of service, please do not hesitate to contact us – and let us continue to pray for one another as well.
Rev. Msgr. Joseph Betschart, STL, President-Rector
Mount Angel Seminary is primarily dedicated to the formation and education of candidates for the Roman Catholic Priesthood. Therefore, all seminary students require the sponsorship of a Diocesan Bishop or Religious Superior. To acquire this endorsement, please contact the vocation director of the diocese or community for which you wish to study.
All applicants are expected to complete an extensive screening process. A checklist is provided below to aid the applicant through the process of compiling the completed application packet, including medical health forms and a psychological assessment guide. Once the application is complete, an on-site interview will be arranged with the Admissions Board as the final step in the process.
Applicants who are not candidates for the priesthood but are interested in study at Mount Angel should refer to the section at the bottom of this page for Non-Seminarian admissions.
Additional information regarding the application process can be found in the Academic Catalog.
Seminary Application Process
Required admissions documents are in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to edit and save these documents.
A seminarian applicant to Mount Angel Seminary should send the completed application forms, and all other documents, to his Director of Vocations. The materials will then be forwarded to Mount Angel Seminary.
Applicants must provide the following documents in order to complete the application process. Only when the Office of Admissions has received all these items is the application ready to be processed.
Seminary Admissions Checklist
- The application and supplemental application forms of Mount Angel Seminary.
- A typed autobiography of not more than 8 double-spaced pages which covers the applicant’s faith, vocational discernment, family, work, social life, achievements earned, and education history.
- Signed release forms (Attestation of Truthfulness, Release of Information, and Permission to Procure an Investigative Report). The Seminary will initiate the required background check.
- Three recommendation questionnaires or letters of recommendation from people who know the applicant. One must be from a pastor or priest.
- If applicable, a recommendation letter from the Rector of the applicant’s former seminary.
- Photocopy of legal photo identification (e.g., driver’s license or passport).
- Official transcripts from the applicant’s high school and from all colleges or universities previously attended, even if no credit was earned. These transcripts must be issued directly to Mount Angel Seminary. Students entering either the undergraduate or graduate program must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Baptismal and Confirmation certificates, as well as certificates of candidacy and instituted ministries(lector/acolyte) if applicable.
- Letter of endorsement and financial sponsorship from his sponsoring (arch)diocese or religious community.
- Health form, immunization record, and other associated required documents such as TB and blood work test results.
- Professional psychological assessment report.
- Passport size and quality photograph of the applicant.
Supplemental Applications for Some Seminary Applicants:
Mount Angel Seminary is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. Please print the supplemental application above and fax to International Student Services FAX 503.845.3128
Additional application procedures for non-native English speaking applicants:
Applicants who are not candidates for the priesthood, please use the Non-Seminarian Application. For information, email Nancy.Holt@mtangel.edu or call the Assistant Director of Non-Seminarian Students 503.845.3562.
Statement of Educational Effectiveness
Mount Angel Seminary considers the long-term active ministry of its graduates a clear indicator of the fulfillment of its mission. In the most recent ten year period 2005-2015, 94% of those who completed a graduate theology degree at the seminary, i.e., the Master of Divinity and the Master of Arts (Theology), are still in active ministry, meaning serving in ordained, religious, professional or volunteer ministry positions or continuing in advanced studies. Read more »
Mount Angel Abbey and Seminary's 2017 Annual Security and Fire Report is available here.