Mount Angel Seminary Admissions
As a school of the Lord’s service, we have much for which to be grateful and much to celebrate. Founded and sustained by the monks of Mount Angel Abbey, we are the oldest and largest Catholic seminary in the western United States. We have been privileged to educate and form thousands of priests – as well as many religious and lay men and women – with the mind and heart of Jesus Christ for service to his people in nearly 100 dioceses and religious communities across the country and around the world. We are delighted that you are interested in becoming part of that tradition. If you have any questions or if we can be of service, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mount Angel Seminary is primarily dedicated to the formation and education of candidates for the Roman Catholic priesthood. Therefore, all seminary students require the sponsorship of a Diocesan bishop or religious superior. To acquire this endorsement, please contact the vocation director of the diocese or community for which you wish to study.
The seminary’s admissions criteria and programs adhere to the norms established by the Holy See and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops as stated in the Program of Priestly Formation. All applicants are expected to complete an extensive screening process. A checklist is provided below to aid the applicant through the process of compiling the completed application packet, including medical health forms and a psychological assessment guide. Once the application is complete, an on-site interview will be arranged with the Admissions Board as the final step in the process.
Applicants who are not candidates for the priesthood but who are interested in studying at Mount Angel Seminary should refer to the Non-Seminarian Admissions information below.
Additional information regarding the application process can be found in the Seminary Academic Catalog.
For questions or more information, email Admissions@mtangel.edu or call 971.720.8509.
A seminarian applicant to Mount Angel Seminary should send the completed application forms and all other requested documents to his Director of Vocations. The materials will then be forwarded to Mount Angel Seminary.
Applicants must provide the following documents in order to complete the application process. Only when the Office of Admissions has received all these items is the application ready to be processed.
(Required admissions documents are in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to edit and save these documents.)
- The Application and supplemental application forms. of Mount Angel Seminary.
- A typed autobiography of not more than 8 double-spaced pages which covers the applicant’s faith, vocational discernment, family, work, social life, achievements earned, and education history.
- Signed release forms: Attestation of Truthfulness, the Release of Information and Permission to Procure an Investigative Report. The seminary will initiate the required background check.
- Three recommendation questionnaires or letters of recommendation from people who know the applicant. One must be from a pastor or priest.
- If applicable, a recommendation letter from the Rector of the applicant’s former seminary.
- Supplemental Application for Nonimmigrant Alien Students. Mount Angel Seminary is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. Please print the supplemental application above and fax to International Student Services FAX 503.845.3128.
- Additional application procedures for non-native English speaking applicants: English Language Admission Requirements
- Photocopy of legal photo identification (e.g., driver’s license or passport).
- Official transcripts from the applicant’s high school and from all colleges or universities previously attended, even if no credit was earned. These transcripts must be issued directly to Mount Angel Seminary. Students entering either the undergraduate or graduate program must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Baptismal and Confirmation certificates, as well as certificates of candidacy and instituted ministries (lector/acolyte) if applicable.
- Letter of endorsement and financial sponsorship from his sponsoring (arch)diocese or religious community.
- Health form, immunization record, and other associated required documents such as TB and blood work test results.
- Professional psychological assessment report.
- Passport size and quality photograph of the applicant.
Mount Angel Seminary
Non-Seminarian Application Checklist
Applicants who are not candidates for the priesthood, please use the Non-Seminarian Application. For information, email Dr. Nancy Holt, the Assistant Director of Non-Seminarian Students, or call 503.845.3562.
1. Completed Non-Seminarian Application.
2. A letter from the applicant requesting admittance to the school, specifying the degree program or course of study the applicant wishes to enter and the reason for choosing Mount Angel Seminary.
3. A recent photo.
4. A copy of the applicant’s valid photo ID, e.g., a driver’s license or passport.
5. Official transcript(s) of the applicant’s previous academic credits certifying that a Bachelor of Arts degree or its equivalent has been earned.
6. Two (2) letters of recommendation concerning the applicant’s character and suitability for the program. One must be from the applicant’s pastor or some other person as designated in the application. The other should be from a person able to attest to the academic ability of the applicant.
a. Priest applicants should also submit a Testimonial of Suitability.
b. Members of religious communities must submit a letter from the religious superior indicating he/she is in good standing and that the order assumes financial responsibility for the applicant. This letter may serve as one of the two letters of recommendation.
7. Listed references as noted in the application form.
8. An Interview with the Assistant Director of Non-Seminarian Students.
9. A signed Attestation of Truthfulness Form.
10. A signed Release of Information Form.
11. A completed Certificate of Immunization Form (if born after January 1, 1957).
12. A completed Permission to Procure a Criminal Background Check Form, either domestic or international.
13. A non-refundable background check fee: $25.00 for US only or $75 for international students;*
14. A non-refundable $50.00 application fee.*
* To submit the fees, enclose a personal check or money order payable to Mount Angel Seminary with the application.
All application materials and fees should be submitted by July 1 of the intended year of attendance. Applications received after July 1 may be considered.
Send application materials to:
Assistant Director of Non-Seminarian Students
Mount Angel Seminary
1 Abbey Drive
Saint Benedict, OR 97373
The charges for tuition, room, board and fees for seminarians, as well as the costs for non-seminarian students, are published in the Academic Catalog. These amounts are subject to change as they reflect the current fees at time of publishing.
Financial Aid Calculator
Mount Angel Seminary is pleased to provide an online Net Price Calculator for new undergraduate students to assist you with calculating your estimated educational cost and your estimated scholarship and aid package. Please be advised that the calculator is for estimating purposes only. Final eligibility for aid is subject to the student completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), meeting eligibility requirements and availability of funds. Contact the Financial Aid Officer for additional financial aid information.
Statement of Educational Effectiveness
Mount Angel Seminary considers the long-term active ministry of its graduates a clear indicator of the fulfillment of its mission. In the most recent ten-year period 2005-2015, 94% of those who completed a graduate theology degree at Mount Angel Seminary, i.e., the Master of Divinity and the Master of Arts (Theology), are still in active ministry, meaning serving in ordained, religious, professional or volunteer ministry positions or continuing in advanced studies.
Annual Security & Fire Report
Mount Angel Abbey and Seminary’s 2022 annual Security and Fire Report is available here.