Mount of Communion
It is thought that perhaps Native Americans had at one time utilized the butte in the thick fir forest of the Willamette Valley where Mount Angel Abbey now stands. The monks purchased the land and finally settled on this hill in 1884. They built their monastery there, and then a college, thus continuing their own ancient traditions of prayer and work.
Continuing the Tradition
The "Mount of Communion" looks very different today. The orginal wood buildings have been replaced by grand brick structures framed by lawns and gardens. Monks and students hasten to class, visitors arrive to view the church and museum. And yet, the natural beauty and the feeling of God's presence that attracted its first inhabitants still inspire all who live and visit here.