Seminary Mission & Goals
Mount Angel Seminary comprises a Graduate School of Theology and a College of Liberal Arts in the Benedictine tradition whose primary purpose is the education and formation of men for the Roman Catholic priesthood. The School of Theology also admits qualified lay men and women who are interested in pursuing a theological education. The seminary is committed to academic excellence, to holistic formation, and to providing a solid foundation for growth in the spiritual life.
For over one hundred years Mount Angel Seminary has served the needs of dioceses and religious communities throughout the United States, Canada, and the nations of the Pacific.
Mount Angel Seminary is a fully accredited academic institution, and its policies and mission are written in conformity with The Program of Priestly Formation of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops. (Approved by the Seminary Board of Directors)
- To provide opportunities for personal growth and character development for candidates to the Priesthood, so that they can become virtuous men of the Church who demonstrate affective maturity and reflect as far as possible the human perfection of Jesus Christ.
- To provide a climate that supports a commitment to a chaste, celibate lifestyle and fosters a process of life-long conversion.
- To promote an environment that is respectful of diversity in culture, age and education in order for students to reflect the gospel and the person of Christ and to enhance ministerial strengths.
- To oversee certain aspects of the liturgical life of the Seminary and to provide those elements traditionally mandated or recommended by the Church for the spiritual growth of seminarians so that they develop continuously and progressively in their personal relationship with Jesus Christ, in their commitment to the Church, and in living with integrity their priestly vocation through prayer, simplicity of life, obedience, pastoral service and celibate chastity.
- To offer academic formation for undergraduate and pre-theology seminarians that introduces them to wide dimensions of human learning and the cultural roots of their faith, and assists them in development of skills in communication and critical thinking in order to prepare them intellectually for graduate theological studies.
- To provide for graduate students a theological education that covers the range of Christian doctrine, so that, theologically informed and solidly grounded in the Catholic tradition, they can teach, preach and celebrate with knowledge and skill in ordained and other ecclesial ministries.
- The theological curricula at Mount Angel Seminary provide an excellent basis for Christian ministry; close to 100% of our Masters in Divinity recipients (nearly half of whom also recieve a Masters of Arts) obtain employment related to their degrees within one year of graduation.
- To provide ministerial experiences, pastoral skills and opportunities for theological reflection for seminarians, so that they can become effective pastoral ministers who model and live servant leadership.
Mount Angel Seminary is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada, and the following degree programs are approved: MDiv, MA
The Commission contact information is:
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275, USA
Telephone: 412-788-6505; Fax: 412-788-6510