The first step in making application is to the seminary is to contact the diocesan vocation director or the contact person for the religious community you wish to enter. Almost all of our seminarians are sponsored by or affiliated with a diocese or religious community. In most cases, your sponsoring diocese or religious community will actually submit your application to us along with a letter of endorsement. If you would like to be considered for admission as an unaffiliated seminarian, please contact Sr. Virginia Schroeder, SNJM, Director of Admissions, before you proceed to apply.
Vocations Directors can provide you with application booklets and materials as well as assisting you in securing needed medical and psychological assessments. All application materials need to be received by July 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester. At that time admissions will be considered based on the application materials, applicant interviews, space available and sponsoring Diocese or Religious Community.
The Admissions Board will consider an application only after all documents have been submitted and the applicant has made an on-site visit to Mount Angel Seminary for necessary interviews.
Once awarded admission, here are necessary items to bring:
- Formal Suit / Dress Shirts / Tie or Clerical Suit / shirts*
- Informal for every day, leisure, and recreation
- Sheets / Pillow Case
- Towels / Washcloth etc.
- Legal / Immigration / Sacramental Documents
- Liturgy of the hours* (Single or four volume set)
- Prescriptions / medicines
- Toiletries: soap, shaving, toothbrush/paste, etc.*
- * Denotes items which can be purchased at Mount Angel
- Alarm clock
- Computer, printer, modem
- Phone answering machine [personal phone]
- Stereo [radio]
- Earphones for private listening
- Television (if this won't distract from studies)
- Musical Instrument(s)
- Sports equipment: Frisbee, baseball, soccer, racquetball, rugby, skiing, swimming football, tennis, badminton, pool, kayaking, basketball, hiking, biking, etc.
- Hobbies: painting, sculpting, woodworking, calligraphy, etc.
- Reference books: Dictionary etc.
- Fan (ceiling fans are not allowed)
- Sleeping bag (especially for college beach weekend)
- Stackable storage cartons