This is an orientation to the extensive collection of Western philosophy at Mt. Angel Abbey Library. The collection was substantially augmented in 1985 by the purchase of the philosophical library of Richard McKeon (20,000 items).
If there is a philosophical title you need that is not in the catalog, please fill out an Interlibrary loan form. For tapes, films and videos pertaining to philosophy, check the A-V holdings list. Journals published before 1985 will be found in the basement of the library.
- Enciclopedia filosofica. 4 vols. Venezia: Instituto per la collaborazione culture, 1957 (B 44)
- The Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Ed. Paul Edwards. 8 vols. New York: Macmillan, 1967. Anglo-American and analytic slant. Scholarly, readable, good cross references. Good bibliographies. The only work of its kind in English. (Ref B 41; another set in stacks)
- Europäische Enzyklopädie zu Philosophie und Wissenschaften. Ed. Sandkühler, Hans-Jörg. 4 vols. Hamburg: Felix Meiner, 1990. (Ref B 51).
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Ed. Edward Craig. 11 vols. plus CD-ROM (Please ask at circulation desk for CD). New York: Routledge, 1998. (Ref B 51 $68).
- Thomas, Henry. Biographical Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1965. (B 41 T5).
- World Philosophy. Essay-Reviews of 225 Major Works. Ed. Frank N. Magill and Ian P. McGreal. Engelwood Cliffs, NJ: Salem Press, 1982. (Ref B 29 W68).
- Blackburn, Simon. Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005. (Ref B 41 B53 2005)
- Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy. Ed. Robert Audi. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1995. (B 41 C35)
- Dictionary of the History of Ideas. Ed. P. W. Wiener. 4 vols. + index vol. New York: Scribner's, 1968-1974. (Ref CB 5 D52)
- A Dictionary of Philosophy. Ed. Anthony Flew. 2nd ed. New York: St. Martin's, 1984. (Ref B 41 D52 1984)
- Dictionary of Philosophy and Psychology. Ed. James Mack Baldwin. 3 vols. in 4. Gloucester, MA: P. Smith, 1960. (Ref B 41)
- Ferrater Mora, José. Diccionario de filosofia. 4th ed. Buenos Aires: Editorial Sudamericana, 1958. (B 45 F4)
- Historisches Worterbuch der Philosophie. Eds. Joachim Ritter et al. Basel: Schwabe, 1971-. Excellent historical dictionary that includes theological usages also (Ref B 43 R59)
- MacGregor, Geddes. Dictionary of Religion and Philosophy. New York: Paragon, 1989. (Ref BL 31 M23)
- Pelikan, Jaroslav Jan. The Melody of Theology: a Philosophical Dictionary. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1988. (BR 95 P36)
- Philosophical Dictionary. Tr. of Philosophisches Wörterbuch. Ed. Walter Brugger (German), and Kenneth Baker (English tr). Spokane: Gonzaga UP, 1972. (Ref B 43 B713)
- Reese, William L. Dictionary of Philosophy and Religion : Eastern and Western Thought. Atlantic Highlands, N.J. : Humanities Press, 1980. (B 41 R43)
- Sparkes, A. W. Talking Philosophy : a Wordbook. London: Routledge, 1991. (B 49 S63)
- Vocabulaire technique et critique de la philosophie Ed. André Lalande. 5th ed. Paris: Presses universitaires de France, 1947. In French, but gives English equivalents; many citations. (B 42 L3)
Bibliographies and Guides
- De George, Richard T. The Philosopher's Guide to Sources, Research Tools, Professional Life, and Related Fields Lawrence: Regents Press of Kansas, 1980. (Z 7125 D445)
- Tobey, Jeremy L. The History of Ideas: A Bibliographical Introduction. Santa Barbara: Clio, 1975-. (Z 7125 T58)
Abstracts and Indexes
The Philosopher's Index. An International Index to Philosophical Materials. Bowling Green, OH: Philosophy Documentation Center, Bowling Green University, 1967- Abstracts 450 U.S. and European journals; author, subject, and book review indexes; books includes since 1980; non-English language books since 1984. Two companion, retrospective sets by the same publisher: The Philosopher's Index: A Retrospective Index to Non-U.S. Publications from 1940 (books to 1978, journals to 1966); The Philosophers Index: A Retrospective Index to U.S. Publications from 1940 (books to 1976, journals to 1960). Located with the journals.
Répertoire bibliographique de la philosophie. Louvain: Editions de l'Institut Supérieur de Philosophie de l'Université Catholique de Louvain, 1949-.[RBP] Began (1934-1948) as supplement to the Revue philosophique de Louvain. Quarterly: issues 1-3 = books and periodicals, issue 4 = reviews and name index. The first three issues of each year are divided into a history section (philosophers chronological by death date) and a section devoted to philosophical topics. Very good for monographs in Western languages. Located with the journals.
Other indexing and abstracting sources: Arts and Humanities Citation Index [AHCI] (online: Arts and Humanities Search); Religion Index [RI]; Humanities Index [HI]; Social Science Index [SoS]; Catholic Periodical Index [CPI].
Cf. Ruben, Douglas H., comp. Philosophy Journals and Serials: An Analytic Guide. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1985. 385 journals, mostly in English. (Z 7127 R83)
Listed here are some representative titles; most of them are indexed in Philosopher's Index and Repertoire; many are also in Humanities or Catholic Periodical Index.
- Ethics: An International Journal of Social, Political and Legal Philosophy. 1890-.
- International Philosophical Quarterly. 1961-. Slant: theistic humanism, with many European contributions.
- Journal of the History of Philosophy. 1963-. Western philosophy.
- Man and World. l968-. Slant: international, existential phenomenology.
- Mind. 1876-. Slant: Great Britain.
- Monist. 1890-. Each issue devoted to a single topic.
- Philosophical Quarterly. 1950-. University of St. Andrews.
- Philosophical Review. 1892-. Cornell University.
- Philosophy. 1925-. Journal of the Royal Institute of Philosophy.
- Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. 1940-.
- Philosophy Today. Slant: existentialism and phenomenology from Christian tradition.
- Review of Metaphysics. 1947-
- Vivarium: An International Journal for the Philosophy and Intellectual Life of the Middle Ages and Renaissance. 1963-.
- DIALOGOS. The aim of DIALOGOS is to be to an on-line periodical promoting a conversation between the various sciences, philosophy, and theology.
- Disputatio. A journal of philosophy in the analytic tradition.
- Society for Philosophy & Technology. A quarterly electronic journal; various philosophical perspectives with a focus on technology.
- SORITES. A refereed all-English electronic international quarterly of analytical philosophy.
- The Electronic Journal of Analytic Philosophy. The editors understand analytic philosophy as characterized by a free use of formal methods, a close relationship with the natural and social sciences, and an incremental approach to problem solving. (Includes links to other sites of philosophical interest)
- The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Philosophy and Religion Virtual Encyclopedia.
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Virtual Religion Index. This index is designed as a tool for students with little time. It analyzes & highlights important content of religion-related websites to speed research.
Northwest Philosophy Conference
Meets annually; ask philosophy faculty for details
Society of Christian Philosophers
Department of Philosophy
Grand Rapids, MI 49546-43388
Ph (616) 957-6421; Fax (616) 957-8551