A Guide to Resources in the Mount Angel Abbey Library
Updated September 15, 2009
Partially through the generosity of Cardinal Pio Taofinu’u (+ 2006) of Apia, Western Samoa, Mount Angel Abbey Library has been building a substantial collection of books on Samoa.
- English Language Books on Samoan History and Culture
- Anthropological Studies—Margaret Mead and Her Critics
- Samoa and Samoans Today
- The Samoan Language
- Christian Writings in Samoan
- Web-Based / Internet Resources
English Language Books on Samoan History and Culture
- Buzacott, Aaron. Mission Life in the Islands of the Pacific. 1866; Suva, Fiji: Institute of Pacific Studies of the University of the South Pacific, 1985.
- Calkins, Fay G. My Samoan Chief. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1971.
- Churchward, William B. My Consulate in Samoa. 1887; London: Dawson,1971.
- Consolata, Sister Mary, SMSM. Samoa with Love: Reminiscences of Forty-five Years. Waltham, Massachusetts: Marist Missionary Sisters, 1991.
- The Cyclopedia of Samoa (Illustrated). 1907; Apia, Western Samoa: Commercial Printers, 1984.
- Ellison, Joseph Waldo. Opening and Penetration of Foreign Influence in Samoa to 1880. Corvallis: Oregon State College, 1938.
- Fairbairn-Dunlop, Peggy. Tamaitai Samoa: Their Stories. Carson, California: KIN Publications / Suva, Fiji: The Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific, 1998. See repeated reference, below, under "bibliography."
- Faleomavaega, Eni F.H., Navigating the Future: A Samoan Perspective on U.S. Pacific Relations. KIN Publications / Suva, Fiji: The Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific, 1995.
- Field, Michael J. Mau. Samoa’s Struggle against New Zealand Oppression. Wellington, New Zealand: A. H. & A. W. Reed, 1984.
- Governance in Samoa: Pulega I Samoa. Eds. Elise Huffer and Asofou So'o. Suva, Fiji: Institute of Pacific Studies of the University of the South Pacific, 2000.
- Gray, John A. C. Amerika Samoa. 1960; New York: Arno, 1980.
- Henry, Brother Fred. History of Samoa. Apia, Western Samoa: Commercial Printers, 1979.
- Heslin, Rev. Fr. Joseph, SM. A History of the Roman Catholic church in Samona 1845-1995. Ed. M.B. Tyquin. Forward by Cardinal Pio Taofinu'u. Apia, Western Samoa, 1995. [Alternate pages are in Samoan as: O Le Talatu'ufaasolo E Ekalesia Katoliko I Samoa 1845-1995. ]
- Historical Sketch of the Naval Administration of the Government of American Samoa, April 17, 1909—July 1,1951. Washington, D.C.: USGPO,1952.
- Kennedy, Paul. The Samoan Tangle. A Study in Anglo-German-American Relations. Dublin: Irish University Press, 1974.
- Laugen. Samoan Oratory. Apia, Western Samoa: National University of Samoa, 1987.
- Tu’i, Tatupu Fa’afetai Mata’afa. Lauga. Samoan Oratory. Suva, Fiji: Institute of Pacific Studies of the University of the South Pacific, 1987.
- Marquandt, Carl. The Tattooing of Both Sexes in Samoa. Original German 1899; Papakura: MacMillan, 1984.
- Meleisea, Malama. et al. Lagaga: A Short History of Western Samoa. Suva, Fiji: Institute of Pacific Studies of the University of the South Pacific, 1987.
- Meleisea, Malama. O Tama Uli. Melanesians in Samoa. Suva, Fiji: Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific, 1980.
- -- The Making of Modern Samoa: Traditional Authority and Colonial Administration in the Modern History of Western Samoa. Suva, Fiji: Institute of Pacific Studies of the University of the South Pacific, 1987.
- Naval Actions and History, 1799-1898. Boston: Military Historical Society of Massachusetts, 1902. Contains an article dealing with a hurricane in Samoa in 1889.
- Robson, R. W. Queen Emma. Sydney, Australia: Pacific Publications, 1979.
- Tala o le Vavau: The Myths, Legends and Customs of Old Samoa. Rev. ed. 1976; Auckland:NZ: Polynesian Press, 1987.
- Tom, Nancy Y. W. The Chinese in Western Samoa, 1875- 1985. The Dragon Came from Afar. Apia, Western Samoa: Western Samoa Historical and Cultural Trust, 1986.
- Turner, George. Samoa: A Hundred Years Ago and Long Before. 1884; Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific, 1984.
- — Samo. Nineteen Years in Polynesia. 1861; Apia, Western Samoa: Western Samoa Historical and Cultural Trust, 1986.
- Wendt, Jennifer. A Title Bestowal in Western Samoa. Auckland, NZ: Longman Paul, 1987.
Albert Wendt was born in Western Samoa and educated in New Zealand, wherein he gained an M.A. in history from Victoria University, Wellington. He then became a professor of Pacific Literature at the University of the South Pacific
- -- The Birth and Death of the Miracle Man: a Collection of Short Stories. Auckland, NZ: Penguin, 1986.
- -- Flying Fox in a Freedom Tree and Other Stories. Auckland, NZ: Penguin, 1988.
- -- Leaves of the Banyan Tree. Auckland, NZ: Penguin, 1979.
- -- Pouliuli. 1977; Auckland, NZ: Penguin, 1987.
Anthropological Studies—Margaret Mead and Her Critics
- Caton, Hiram. The Samoa Reader. Anthropologists Take Stock. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1990.
- Freeman, Derek. Margaret Mead and Samoa. Cambridge: Harvard, 1983.
- Holmes Lowell Don, ed. Quest for the Real Samoans: The Mead / Freeman Controversy and Beyond. South Hadley, MA: Bergin and Garvin, 1987.
- Mead, Margaret. Coming of Age in Samoa. New York: Morrow, 1928.
Samoa and Samoans Today
- Baker, Paul T., ed. The Changing Samoans. New York: Oxford, 1986.
- Janes, Craig. Migration, Social Change and Health. A Samoan Community in Urban California. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1990.
- Ngan-Woo, Feleti E. Faasamoa: The World of Samoans. New Zealand: Office of the Race Relations Conciliator, 1985.
- Sutter, Frederic Koehler. Samoa: A Photographic Essay. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1971.
The Samoan Language
- Hunkin, Alfred. Gagana Samoa. A Samoan Language Coursebook. Auckland, NZ: Polynesian Press, 1988. (includes cassette)
- Marsack, C. C. Teach Yourself Samoan. London: English Universities Press, 1962.
- Schultz, E. Samoan Proverbial Expressions. Alaga’upu fa’a - Samoa. Trans. Brother Herman.1953; Auckland, NZ: Polynesian Press, 1980.
Christian Writings in Samoan
- O Le Tusi Paia. O Le Feagauga Tuai Ma Le Feagaiga Fou Ma Apokerifa. N. p1.: The Bible Society in the South Pacific, 1969. Approved by Cardinal Pio for Catholic use and autographed by him.
- Tusi Mo Aiga Tapua’I Faatasi. Christian Family Prayer Book. Samoan-English. Apia, Western Samoa: Diocese of Samoa and Tokelau, 1979. Autographed by Cardinal Pio.
- Fairbairn-Dunlop, Peggy. Tamaitai Samoa: Their Stories. Carson, California: KIN Publications / Suva, Fiji: The Institute of Pacific Studies, University of the South Pacific, 1998. This book includes a detailed and wide-ranging bibliography of literature about Samoa, especially concerning topics of Samoan history and culture.
- Holmes, Lowell D., ed. Samoan Island Bibliography. Wichita, KS: Poly Concepts, 1984.
Web-based / Internet Resources
Samoan Sensation: Literature Relating to Samoa
Includes a detailed "bibliography" about Samoa, with some 550 works, through early 2000.
A search for "bibliography, Samoa" yielded over 1800 books, plus a few journal articles.