Walker Percy Bibliography
- The Moviegoer (Knopf, 1961)
- The Last Gentleman (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1966)
- Love in the Ruins (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1971)
- Lancelot (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1977)
- The Second Coming (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1980)
- The Thanatos Syndrome (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1987)
- Andrew Lytle, Walker Percy, Peter Taylor: a Reference Guide. Boston:
G. K. Gall, 1983. (Z1229.S6)
- Hobson, Linda Whitney. Walker Percy: A Comprehensive Descriptive
Bibliography. New Orleans: Faust, 1988. (Z 89672.59) (Hobson
became a friend of Percy's, after she wrote her dissertation on
- Wright, Stuart T. Walker Percy, a Bibliography, 1930-1984. Westport:
Meckler, 1986. (Z8672.59)
- Brinkmeyer, Robert H. Three Catholic Writers of the Modern South.
Jackson: U of Mississippi P, 1985. (Allen Tate, Caroline Gordon,
- Coles, Robert. Walker Percy, An American Search. Boston: Little Brown,
1978. (Coles was a close friend of Percy's, whose opinions Percy
greatly valued. Yet Percy felt that Coles may have overlooked the
darker, more malicious side of his nature, precisely because Coles
himself is such a decent man.
- Hardy, John Edward. The Fiction of Walker Percy. Urbana: U of Illinois
P, 1987. (A meticulous reading of Percy's novels).
- Hawkins, Peter S. The Language of Grace: Flannery O'Connor, Walker
Percy & Iris Murdoch. Cambridge: Mass: Cowley, 1983.
- Hobson, Linda Whitney. Understanding Walker Percy. Columbia, SC; U
of South Carolina P, 1988.
- Howland, Mary Deems. The Gift of the Other: Gabriel Marcel's Concept of
intersubjectivity in Walker Percy's Novels. Pittsburgh: Duquesne U
- Lawson, Lewis A. Following Percy: Essays on Walker Percy's Work.
Troy, NY: Whitston, 1988. Lawson was one of the first scholars to
attempt to relate Percy's fiction and non-fiction works. He carried on
an increasingly cordial, twenty-five year correspondence with Percy.
- ---., and Victor A. Kraemer, eds. Conversations with Walker Percy.
Jackson: U of Mississippi P, 1985.
- Luschei, Martin. The Sovereign Wayfarer: Walker Percy's Diagnosis of the
Malaise. Baton Rouge: L S U Press, 1972. (A reworked dissertation,
this book "impressed Percy by its generosity and by its thorough
explication of the intellectual substructure of his fiction."
- Percy, William Alexander (1885-1942). Lanterns of the Levee:
Recollections of a Planter's Son. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State U P,
1973 . (Walker Percy wrote the introduction to this re-issue of
his Uncle Will's book.)
- Poteat, Patricia Lewis. Walker Percy and the Old Modern Age. Baton
Rouge: Louisiana S U P, 1985. (Poteat critiques Percy's language
theories. She thinks his theoretical work is self-contradictory, but
that his novels provide a more cogent critique of Cartesianism.)
- Reid Broughton, Panthea, ed. The Art of Walker Percy: Strategems for
Being. Baton Rouge: L S U Press, 1979.
- Spivey, Ted Ray. The Writer as Shaman: the Pilgrimages of Conrad Aiken
and Walker Percy. Macon, GA: Mercer U P, 1986.
- Taylor, L. Jerome. In Search of Self, Life, Death, and Walker Percy.
Cambridge, MA: Cowley, 1986.
- Tharpe, Jac. Walker Percy, Art and Ethics. Jackson: U P of Mississippi,
- ---. Walker Percy. Boston: Twayne, 1983.
- Wood, Ralph C. The Comedy of Redemption: Christian Faith and Comic
Vision in Four American Novelists. Notre Dame: U Notre Dame P,
1988. (Percy, Updike, O'Connor, De Vries. Percy appreciated
Wood's close readings of his work.)