Selected Works by Thomas Merton
For further titles see the author entry in the library catalog.
- The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton. New York: New Directions, 1973.
- Basic Principles of Monastic Spirituality. Springfield, IL:Templegate, 1996.
- Bread in the Wilderness. New York: New Directions, 1953.
- Catch of Anti-Letters. With Robert Lax. Mission, Kan: Sheed, 1978.
- Cistercian Life. Spencer: Cistercian, 1974.
- The Collected Poems of Thomas Merton. New York: New Directions, 1977.
- Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander. Garden City: Doubleday, 1966.
- Contemplation in a World of Action. Garden City: Doubleday, 1971.
- Contemplative Prayer. New York: Herder & Herder, 1969.
- Disputed Questions. New York: Farrar, Straus and Cudahy, 1960.
- Emblems of a Season of Fury. Norfolk: Laughton, 1963.
- Faith and Violence. Notre Dame: U of Notre Dame P, 1968.
- Geography of Holiness (Photography) Ed. Deba Patnaik. New York: Pilgrim, 1980.
- The Journals of Thomas Merton 6 vol. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1996.
- Hidden Ground of Love. (Letters) New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1985.
- The Last of the Fathers. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1954.
- Life and Holiness. New York: Herder and Herder, 1963.
- The Living Bread. New York: Farrar, Straus, Cudahy, 1956.
- A Man in the Divided Sea. Norfolk: New Directions, 1946.
- My Argument with the Gestapo. Garden City: Doubleday, 1969.
- Mystics and Zen Masters. New York: Dell, 1967.
- The New Man. New York: Farrar, Straus, Cudahy, 1961.
- No Man is an Island. New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanich, 1978.
- Raids on the Unspeakable. New York: New Directions, 1966.
- A Search for Solitude: Pursuing the Monk's True Life. With Lawrence Cunningham. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1996.
- The Secular Journal of Thomas Merton. New York: Farrar, Straus, Cudahy, 1959.
- Seeds of Destruction. New York: Farrar, Straus, 1965.
- The Seven Story Mountain. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1948.
- The Silent Life. New York: Farrar, Straus, Cudahy, 1957.
- Thoughts in Solitude. New York: Farrar, Straus & Cudahy, 1958.
- A Vow of Conversation. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1988.
- Waters of Siloe. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1949.
Selected Biographies of Thomas Merton
- Forest, James H. Living with wisdom: a Life of Thomas Merton. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2008.
- Furlong, Monica. Merton: A Biography. New York: Harper & Row, 1980.
- Griffin, John H. Follow the Ecstasy. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1993.
- Inchausti, Robert. Thomas Merton's American Prophecy. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1998.
- Kountz, Peter. Thomas Merton as Writer and Monk: a Cultural Study, 1915-1951. Brooklyn, NY: Carlson Pub., 1991.
- Merton, Thomas. Thomas Merton and James Laughlin: Selected Letters. New York: W.W. Norton, 1997.
- Mott, Michael. The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton. Boston: Houghton, 1984.
- Pennington, M. Basil. Thomas Merton, Brother Monk: the Quest for True Freedom. San Francisco: Harper & Row, c1987.
- Rice, Edward E. The Man in the Sycamore Tree. Garden City: Doubleday, 1970.
- Shannon, William Henry. Silent lamp: the Thomas Merton story. New York: Crossroad, 1992.
- Wilkes, Paul. Merton: By Those Who Knew Him Best. San Francisco: Harper, 1984.
Studies of Merton's Thought
- Adams, Daniel. Thomas Merton's Shared Contemplation: A Protestant Perspective. Kalamazoo: Cistercian Publications, 1979.
- Bailey, Raymond. Thomas Merton on Mysticism. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1975.
- Baker, James T. Thomas Merton Social Critic. Lexington: UP Kentucky, 1971.
- Carr, Anne. A Search for Wisdom and Spirit. Notre Dame UP, 1988.
- Cashen, Richard. Solitude in the thought of Thomas Merton. Kalamazoo: Cistercian, 1981.
- Finley, James. Merton's Palace of Nowhere. Notre Dame: Ave Maria, 1978.
- Kelly, Frederic J. Man Before God: Merton on Social Responsibility. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1974.
- Kramer, Victor A. Thomas Merton, Monk and Artist. Kalamazoo: Cistercian, 1987.
- Lentfoehr, Thérèse. Words and Silence: on the Poetry of Thomas Merton. New York: New Directions, 1979.
- Malits, Elena. The Solitary Explorer. San Francisco: Harper, 1980.
- Shannon, William. Thomas Merton's Paradise Journey: writings on contemplation. Cincinnati, OH: St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2000.
- Woodcock, George. Thomas Merton Monk and Poet. New York: Farrar, 1978.
- Zuercher, Suzanne. Merton: an Enneagram Profile. Notre Dame, IN: Ave Maria Press, 1996.
- Dell'Isola, Frank. Thomas Merton: A Bibliography. Kent State U P, 1975.
- Merton Annual. New York: AMS vol. 1- (1988-).
- Beauty is From God. Sound Recording. Kansas City, MO: Credence Cassettes : National Catholic Reporter, 1988. Merton relates pleasure, art and contemplation and finds God in all three. (BX 4705 M54 B428)
- Love Casts Out Fear. Sound Recording. Kansas City, MO: Credence Cassettes : National Catholic Reporter, 1988. Merton discusses the theology of love of St. Bernard. (BX 4705 M54 A6 L68)
- Monastic Spirituality. Sound Recording. Kansas City, MO: Credence Cassettes : National Catholic Reporter, 1988. Merton explains the key elements of a monk's spirituality, especially the inner heart of poverty and the longing for God. (BX 4705 M54 A6 M66c)
- The Abbey of Gethsemani This site provides information about Merton's Abbey and the Trappist order; it is also a good source of information about Merton and his writings.
- FireWatch dedicated to distributing information on the works of Thomas Merton and on religious contemplation in general.
- The Thomas Merton Collection at St. Joseph's College Provides glimpses of the Merton Collection at Wellehan Library of St. Joseph's College, Maine. Photographs of Merton together with excerpts from his writings are featured.
- The Thomas Merton Foundation This site is hosted by The Thomas Merton Center at Bellarmine College. In 1967, Merton made Bellarmine the official repository for his manuscripts, letters, journals, etc. A good source of links to other related web pages.
- The Thomas Merton Society of Great Britain and Ireland The society seeks to encourage the publication of works by or about Thomas Merton and publishes The Merton Journal twice yearly. This is another good source of links.