Blessed Virgin Mary
Below is a select bibliography of recent theological works about Mary, followed by a summary of Pope John Paul II's encyclical on Mary. The bibliographical list could be augmented by many additional works. Purely devotional works, works about apparitions, and most older works are omitted, as are recent psychological and political critiques of Marian doctrine and devotion. The rest of the library's holdings on Mary can be found on the shelves where items for which call numbers are given are located; i.e. around BQT 1000, BT 600, N8070.
Someone interested in researching a topic could begin with articles in the New Catholic Encyclopedia or with O'Carroll's Theotokos, both of which would give directions for further research. The articles in The Way give a first orientation to ecumenical discussion of the topic. Current theology is surveyed in Tambasco. Very recent articles can be located in ATLA Religion Database and the Catholic Periodical Index. The most thorough bibliographical source is the annual survey of Mariological studies in Marian Studies, the annual publication of the Mariological Society. There are any number of studies on Mary in art; see the subject catalog, "Mary, Blessed Virgin--Art."
- Anderson, H. George, et. al., eds. The One Mediator, the Saints and Mary. Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1992. (BX 8063.7 C3 L8 v.8)
- Brennan, Walter T. The Sacred Memory of Mary. New York: Paulist, 1988. (BT 611 B73)
- Brown, Raymond, et. al., eds. Mary in the New Testament. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1978. (BT 611 M37)
- Buby, Bertrand. Mary the Faithful Disciple. New York: Paulist, 1985. (BT 613 B85)
- Carroll, Eamon R. Undestanding the Mother of Jesus. Wilmington: Glazier, 1979. (BQT 1006.2 C236)
- Cunningham, Lawrence. Mother of God. San Francisco: Harper and Row, 1982. (N 8070 C917)
- Flusser, David, et. al. Mary : Images of the Mother of Jesus in Jewish and Christian Perspective. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1986. (BT 597 M33713)
- Graef, Hilda C. The Devotion to Our Lady.. New York: Hawthorn, 1963. (BX 880 T9 v.45; cf. BT 610 G75613 1985p).
- McHugh, John. The Mother of Jesus in the New Testament. Garden City: Doubleday, 1975. (BQT 1013 M3)
- National Conference of Catholic Bishops, Behold Your Mother, Woman of Faith. (1973 Pastoral Letter) (BQT 1020 N3)
- O'Carroll, Michael. Theotokos: A Theological Encyclopedia of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Wilmington, DE: Glazier, 1982. (BT 602 O23)
- Rahner, Karl. Mary, Mother of the Lord. New York: Herder, 1964. (BT 613 R3513)
- Ratzinger, Joseph. Daughter Zion: Meditations on the Church's Marian Belief. San Francisco: Ignatius, 1983. (BT 613 R3913)
- Schillebeeckx, E. H. Mary, Mother of the Redemption. New York: Sheed & Ward, 1964. (BT 613 S373)
- Stacpoole, Alberic, et. al., eds. Mary in Doctrine and Devotion. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical, 1990. (BT 595 E23)
- Tambasco, Anthony J. What Are They Saying about Mary? New York: Paulist, 1984. (BT 613 T151 1984p)
- Brown, Raymond E. "Mary, the First Disciple." St. Anthony Messenger 104 (May 97) 10-13.
- Carroll, Eamon. "Mary in the Apostolic Church: Work in Progress." One in Christ 25 (1989) 369-80.
- Daly, Brian. "Born of a Virgin" Tablet 246 (Dec 19-26) 1598-1603.
- Daughters of Sarah 17 (October 1991) 28-41 (Articles on Mary).
- John Paul II, Pope. "Mary's Cooperation in Jesus' Sacrifice." Christ to the World 42 (July/Aug 97) 259-64.
- LaVerdiere, Eugene. "The Annunciation to Mary: a Story of Faith" Emmanuel 101 (Dec 95) 580-89.
- The Way, Supplement 25 (l975); 45 (1982); 51 (1984).
The Mary Page
A page is maintained by The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute at the University of Dayton in Ohio.
This site is dedicated to providing information about the apparitions of Mary appearing in Medjugorje, Bosnia-Herzegovina.