Whether you're a student taking your first look at Homiletics, or an experienced priest looking for fresh inspiration, Mt. Angel Abbey Library has a wealth of resources for you. In fact, there is so much material here that a search of the catalog for "Homiletics" or "Preaching" produces a list of over four hundred records! To help you locate the resources you need, we've identified several subcategories, from books giving general advice on writing or delivering homilies, to commentaries on lectionary readings, or collections of sermons. If you find something here that is particularly helpful to you, please let us know, so we can pass on your recommendations.
- The Anchor Bible. Series; also catalogued under individual titles, e.g., Genesis; The Book of Daniel; The Epistles of James, Peter, and Jude. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1964-. (BS 192.2 A1 1964 G3)
- The International Theological Commentary. Series; Old Testament; catalogued under individual titles. Eds. Frederick Holmgren and George A.F. Knight. Grand Rapids : Eerdmans, 1983-.
- The Interpreter's Bible. George Buttrick et al. 12 v. ed. Abingdon, 1952. The scriptures in the King James and Revised Standard Version, with general articles; introduction, exegesis & exposition for each book of the Bible. A bit dated but useful. (BS 491 I65)
- The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Series. Gen. ed. F.F. Bruce. Grand Rapids : Eerdmans, 1951-. (BS 2341 B83)
- The New International Commentary on the Old Testament. Series. Gen. ed. R.K. Harrison. Grand Rapids : Eerdmans, 1965-. (BS 1151.2 N48 I155)
- The New Jerome Biblical Commentary. Eds. Raymond Brown, Joseph Fitzmyer, Roland Murphy. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1990. (BS 491.2 B7)
- Sacra Pagina. Series; New Testament; catalogued under individual titles. Ed. Daniel J. Harrington. Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical, 1991-.
Commentaries on the Sunday Readings
Note that several of the books listed under "Lectionaries" include commentaries on the text.
- Balthasar, Hans Urs von. Light of the Word: Brief Reflections on the Sunday Readings. San Francisco: Ignatius, 1993. (BX 2170 C55 B25 L513)
- Coughlan, Peter and Peter Purdue. Commentary on the Sunday Lectionary. 3 vol. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical, 1972. (BX 1756 C68)
- Crotty, Robert and Gregory Manly. Commentaries on the Readings of the Lectionary: Cycles A, B, C. New York: Pueblo Pub. Co., 1975. (BS 391.2 C76)
- Ferlita, Ernest. The Paths of Life: Reflections on the Readings for Sundays and Holy Days. New York: Alba House, 1992-4. (BX 2170 C55 F46)
- Ferlita, Ernest. Sunday Morning Insights. Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical, 1984. (BX 2170 C55 F46)
- Lauer, Eugene F. The Paths of Life: Reflections on the Readings for Sundays and Holy Days. New York: Alba House, 1992-1994. (BX 2170 C55 L366)
- Nevins, Albert J. The Sunday Readings: Commentaries on the Sunday Liturgies for the Three Cycles, Plus Holy Days and the Supplanting Feasts. Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor, 1984. (BX 2170 C55 N48)
- Sloyan, Gerard Stephen. Commentary on the New Lectionary. New York: Paulist, 1975. (BS 391.2 S58)
Preaching and Social Issues
- Burghardt, Walter J. Preaching the Just Word. New Haven: Yale UP, 1996. (BX 1913 B8)
- Hessel, Dieter T. For Creation's Sake: Preaching, Ecology, and Justice. Philadelphia: Geneva, 1985. (BT 695.5 F74)
- Sider, Ronald J. and Darrel J. Brubaker. Preaching on Peace. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1982. (BT 736.4 P73)
- Smith, Christine M. Preaching as Weeping, Confession, and Resistance: Radical Responses to Radical Evil. Louisville, Ky.: Westminster/John Knox, 1992. (BV 4211.2 S623)
- Hughes, Robert G. A Trumpet in Darkness: Preaching to Mourners. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1985. (BV 4275 H874)
Sermons from the Church Fathers
This is a relatively small sampling of the collections of sermons by the Church Fathers available at the Library. Try browsing the catalog under "Sermons, Latin Translations into English" for other early titles. Or look under "Catholic Church Sermons" for collections of sermons spanning the history of the Church.
- St. Augustine. Sermons on the Liturgical Seasons. Tr. Mary Sarah Muldowney. New York: Fathers of the Church, 1959. (BR 65 A84 A62, F37, v.17)
- ---. Nine Sermons of Saint Augustine on the Psalms. Tr. Edmund Hill. New York: Kennedy, 1959. (BR 65 A84 H555)
- St. Bernard of Clairvaux. Sermons for the Summer Season: Liturgical Sermons from Rogationtide and Pentecost. Tr. Beverly Kienzle. Kalamazoo, Mich. : Cistercian Pub., 1991. (BX 3415 C497 no.53)
- St. Bonaventure. What manner of man? Sermons on Christ. Chicago: Franciscan Herald, 1974. (BQT 693 B64)
- ---. Rooted in Faith: Homilies to a Contemporary World. Chicago: Franciscan Herald, 1974. (BR 67 B66 S47513)
- Carroll, Thomas K. Preaching the Word. Wilmington, Delaware: M. Glazier, 1984. An analysis of different dimensions in the homilies of the Patristic Fathers (liturgical, exegetical, rhetorical, prophetic). With excerpts from sermons by many of the Fathers. (BR 162.2 M562 v.11)
- Eckhart, Meister. Meister Eckhart: Sermons & Treatises. Tr. and ed. Maurice O'C. Walshe. Rockport, MA: Element Books, 1992. (BV 5080 E3 W3 v.3)
- St. Gregory the Great. Forty Gospel Homilies. Tr. David Hurst. Kalamazoo, Mich.: Cistercian Pub., 1990. (BX 1076 E5 X5313)
- St. Jerome. The Homilies of Saint Jerome. 2 vol. Tr. Marie Liguori Ewald. Washington: Catholic U of America, 1964-1966. (BR 65 J5 A62, F37, v.1,2)
- St. Leo the Great. Sermons. Tr. Jane Patricia Freeland. Washington, DC: The Catholic U of America, 1996. (BR 60 A62 F37 v.93)
- O'Carroll, Mary E., A thirteenth-century preacher's handbook. Toronto : Pontifical Inst. of Mediaeval Studies, c1997. (BV 4208 G7 O22)
- Origen. Homilies on Genesis and Exodus. Tr. Ronald E. Heine. Washington: Catholic U of America, 1982. (BR 65 O544 A62 F37 v.1)
- Tauler, Johannes. Johannes Tauler, Sermons. Tr. Maria Shrady. New York: Paulist, 1985. (BR 67 T38 S4713)
- St. Thomas Aquinas. God's Greatest Gifts: Commentaries on the Commandments and the Sacraments. Manchester, N.H.: Sophia Institute, 1992. (B 765 T5 6860 D82 A4 E5)
- St. Thomas of Villanova. Sermons. Tr. Maria Boulding. Villanova, PA: Augustinian, 1995. (BX1756.T54 S47)
- Bausch, William J. Storytelling the Word: Homilies & How to Write Them. Mystic, CT.: Twenty-Third Publications, c1996. (BX 756 B3493 S76)
- Ellingsen, Mark. The Integrity of Biblical Narrative: Story in Theology and Proclamation. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1990. (BV 4235 S76 E44)
- White, William R. Stories for the Journey: a Sourcebook for Christian Storytellers. Minneapolis: Augsburg Pub. House, 1988. Retellings of more than 80 folktales, for use as illustrations in preaching and teaching. Grouped by themes such as "Prayer and Worship", "Community and Hospitality." (BT 78 S84)
- Willimon, William H. and Richard Lischer. Concise Encyclopedia of Preaching. Louisville, Ky.: Westminster John Knox, 1995. (Ref BV 4211.2 C583)
- Old, Hughes Oliphant. The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church. 2 vols. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1998. Vol. 1 looks at the Church through the Apostolic Age; Vol. 2 covers the Patristic Age. (BV 4207 O43)
- Catholic Sermons and Homilies. Although it's not laid out to facilitate a quick search, this site is well worth exploring. You can find links to valuable resources for sermon preparation, including many sample homilies and illustrations. Wait until you have some time to browse, then pour yourself a cup of coffee and remember to add to your personal list of bookmarks when you find something you like..
- New American Bible. Provides the full texts of the readings by date, sponsored by the National Conference of Catholic Bishops. (http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/index.htm).
- The Roman Catholic Lectionary for Mass. Provides comprehensive tables of readings for several editions of the Roman Catholic Lectionary. There are also cross-references and comparative tables so that you can more easily compare the various editions of the Lectionary. (http://myweb.lmu.edu/fjust/Lectionary.htm).
- Lectionary Texts for Reference and Reflection. The Revised Common Lectionary online, with texts from the NRSV.
- Weekly Commentaries on the Revised Common Lectionary. For each week's readings, there is a brief commentary, a short introduction for use in the liturgy, and selections from more technical information about the texts. (http://www.montreal.anglican.org/comment/).
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library. Look here for writings by the Church Fathers, the Catholic Encyclopedia (an online work-in-progress), concordances and commentaries. (http://WWW.CCEL.ORG).
- Sermon Lectionary Resources. An ecumenical index edited by United Church Reverend Richard Fairchild. (http://www.rockies.net/~spirit/sermon.html).
- Catholic Homilies. Short exegesis of one of the upcoming lection texts followed by a short story or illustration - posted in advance by author and priest Fr. Andrew Greeley. (http://www.agreeley.com/homilies99/homilies.html).
- Meeting Christ in the Liturgy. Weekly reflections on the Scriptures of the sacred Liturgy and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (http://www.christusrex.org/www1/mcitl/).
- Sermons by Fathers of the Church. Easy access to sermons available online by Basil the Great, St. Augustine, St. Ambrose, and others. (http://www.theworkofgod.org/Library/Sermons/Fathers.htm).