American Church Records Series
Mount Angel Abbey Library is a charter subscriber to the American Church Records Series compiled by A. T. DeGroot. It includes a number of ecumenical journals on microfilm (interfiled with the rest of the periodicals on microform) as well as retrospective and current records and statistics for the Christian churches of the United States and the rest of the English-speaking world. All these records are on microfilm in the Patristic and Latin Christian Studies Room.
Selected Reference Works
- Dictionary of the Ecumenical Movement. Ed. Nicholas Lossky, et. al. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1991. A fine one-volume encyclopedia prepared by the WCC.
- Encyclopedia of Religion. 2nd ed. Detroit, Mich.: Thomson/Gale, 2005.
- Melton, J. Gordon. Encyclopedia of American Religions. 6th ed. Detroit, Mich : Gale Research Co., 1999.
- World Christian Encyclopedia. 2nd ed. Ed. David Barrett. Oxford: Oxford U P, 2001. A gold mine of data on the Christian churches of every country in the world.
- The Ecumenical Movement: an Anthology of Key Texts and Voices. Ed. Michael Kinnomon and Brian Cope. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1997.
- The Ecumenical Revolution: an Interpretation of the Catholic-Protestant Dialogue.. Ed. Robert McAfee Brown. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1967.
- The Future of Ecumenism. Ed. Hans Küng. New York: Paulist, 1969.
- A history of the ecumenical movement. 2nd ed. Ed. Ruth Rouse and Stephen Neill. Philadelphia: Westminster, 1967.
- Introduction to Ecumenism. Ed. Jeffrey Gros, et al. New York: Paulist, 1998.
- Lange, Ernst. And Yet It Moves : Dream and Reality of the Ecumenical Movement. tr. by Edwin Robertson. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1979.
- The Sense of Ecumenical Tradition: the Ecumenical Vision and Witness of the Orthodox. Ed. Ion Bria. Geneva : WCC Publications, 1991.
- The unity we have and the unity we seek : ecumenical prospects for the third millennium . Ed. Jeremy Morris. London : T & T Clark, 2003.
- Ecumenical Review (World Council of Churches) This is the WCC's premier journal of theology.
- Ecumenical Trends (Graymoor Ecumenical Institute). The Graymoor Friars, who originated as an Anglican religious order and joined the Roman Catholic church, publish this helpful newsletter about ecumenical developments.
- Irénikon (Chevetogne). A scholarly theological journal published by a monastery which has long been in the forefront of Catholic-Orthodox relations. In French.
- Istina (Paris). Another scholarly journal in French, concerned primarily with the Orthodox church.
- Journal of Ecumenical Studies (Philadelphia). Wide-ranging viewpoint has reflected liberal Catholic theology.
- One in Christ (England). A venerable English ecumenical journal.
- Ostkirliche Studien (Würzburg).
- SIDIC (Service international de documentation Judéo-Chrétienne (Rome).
- Sobornost (England). (Incorporating Eastern Churches Quarterly)
- Una Sancta (Germany). A German ecumenical journal, not to be confused with a now defunct American Lutheran journal of the same name.
Journals of Confessional History and Theology
The library subscribes to non-denominational theological journals, which accept contributions from many points of view; these are not included here. Rather, what follows is a list of journals in the library which consistently present the history and theology of a specific Christian denomination or tradition.
- Anglican Theological Review.
- Coptic Church Review
- Currents in Theology and Mission (Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago)
- St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly. St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary; Orthodox Church.
- Westminster Theological Journal. Westminster Theological Seminary; Conservative reformed, scholarly.